Mahapurusha means a person with unique abilities and strength in any sense as compared to normal person.
In a horoscope, Pancha Mahapurusha Yoga is formed when one of the five planets - Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are powerful, i.e. in exaltation, in own sign or in mooltrikona and are in a kendra from Moon or Lagna. The planets in this combination exert a powerful influence on a horoscope. The influence is in form of general disposition of the person and since there is a kendra involved, it affects personal relationships and profession as well. These yogas are known to give a lot of wealth, name and fame to the person.
(1) Ruchaka yoga: Mars is a planet of bravery, energy and initiative on the positive side and conflict on the negative side. This yoga is formed when mars is placed in any of the Kendra 1st,4th,7th or 10th house from Lagna or moon in Aries(mooltrikona sign), Scorpio(own sign) or Capricorn(Exaltation sign) sign. Presence of Ruchaka Yoga in a horoscope makes a person brave and gives him/her passion and intensity. On the negative side, this yoga can also make a person arrogant. Since Mars has a fourth full drishti, presence of this yoga in any of the four kendras has a strong influence on the profession. Many police officers have Ruchaka Yoga in their charts. A negative influence in the horoscope would also show up. I had read this in the Astrology Magazine a while back that there is a fine line between law-makers and law-breakers and Ruchaka Yoga would certainly be found in charts of some famous criminals.
(2) Bhadra yoga: This yoga is related to Mercury, which is a planet that rules intellect, speech and business practices. This yoga is formed when mercury is placed in any of the Kendra i.e. 1st ,7th , 4th or 10th house in Virgo sign as this sign is it’s own, mooltrikona and sign of exaltation. While exerting its influence in the horoscope through Bhadra Yoga, Mercury tends to make a person highly intelligent, a good orator/writer and someone who can communicate his/her ideas to the world with utmost ease. As Mercury also governs businesses in general, the corresponding influence would also help the person in fields of management - sales, marketing and finance. The moment I say finance, you can draw a conclusion that the person would automatically be rich. Usually there are very little negative effects of Bhadra Yoga. Any influences by Saturn or Rahu/Ketu on Mercury would simply not let this yoga show up.
(3) Hamsa yoga: Jupiter is the supreme teacher, that is why it is called in Sanskrit as, simply, Guru. It is a planet of spirituality. This yoga is formed when Jupiter is placed in any of the Kendra i.e. 1st ,7th , 4th or 10th house from Lagna or Moon in Sagittarius(mooltrikona sign) , Pisces(own sign) or Cancer(Exaltation sign). As Guru also represents blessings by God, and its drishti on lagna, Sun or Moon in a chart is considered very fortunate. You can now easily guess… if Guru is the strongest planet in the chart and if it influences Kendras, the person would be lucky and due to divine intervention, he would never get in trouble. The person would also be quite religious and not religious for just his/her own inner self, he would share his knowledge with the rest of the world as well, as Jupiter would like him to do. Jupiter is also Karka of Wealth so person with Hamsa yoga would be quite wealthy. Naturally, this yoga would be strong in the charts of spiritual leaders. Since Guru also represents husband in chart of women, Hamsa Yoga in the chart of a woman would mean a lot of good for her husband.
(4) Malavaya yoga: This yoga is related to Venus - a planet that governs beauty, luxury and comfort in life. This yoga is formed when Venus is placed in any of the Kendra i.e. 1st ,7th , 4th or 10th house from Lagna or Moon in Libra(mooltrikona sign), Taurus(own sign) or Pisces(Exaltation sign). Venus represents wife in a man’s chart. A strong Venus, through Malavaya yoga bestows a very loving and supporting wife to such a man. In the chart of a woman, it makes her beautiful and desirable. Venus, through ownership of signs 2 (Taurus) and 7 (Libra), is also intricately linked to house number two and seven and their “fields of activity”. Malavaya yoga could also make a person a good businessman with ability to extend his empire through partnerships (7) and give him a lot of money (2).
(5) Shasha yoga: Saturn is a mystical planet. This planet represents poverty, disease and adversity. This yoga is formed when Saturn is placed in any of the Kendra i.e. 1st ,7th , 4th or 10th house from Lagna or Moon in Aquarius(mooltrikona sign), Capricorn(own sign) or Libra(Exaltation sign). You would wonder, how is a strong Saturn beneficial then… A strong Saturn, which represents pessimism, in a chart, can make the person a profound and deep thinker. In an organization, there are a lot of people who, under the influence of Mercury would come up with new ideas. The people, with a strong Saturn or best, Sasha yoga in their charts, would be the ones who finally implement these ideas and bring them to reality. These are the people with real sense and position of authority. These people are not optimists, but they would still be smiling in adversity because they have already thought ahead and taken the worst case scenario into account. Like in the case of Ruchaka Yoga, a lot of negative influences can creep in. Saturn is a cruel planet by disposition. If it is not under beneficial influence of Jupiter and is a cruel planet in the chart by position as well, Shasha yoga can make a person very cold and calculating.
OK, now is the time for some clarifications… Statistically, these yogas can appear in a lot of charts, but the effects would not show up everywhere. In case of Panch Mahapurusha Yoga, the planet should also be close to its point of exaltation and not merely present in the sign of exaltation. It should also not be powerless due to shadbala, e.g. by being at rashi sandhi. The planet must be strong in Navamsha and must own good houses i.e.it must be a functional benefic.
Also, existence of this yoga in a chart does not mean that the person would be a Mahapurusha in literal sense. Depending on other influences in the chart, as always, fame could also mean notoriety.
To consult astrologer Ankush Khungar, Please click here